Join Scouts BSA
What is Scouting?
- Through Scouting you will have the opportunity to have great experiences, exciting challenges, develop leadership skills, find a love for the outdoors and provide volunteer service to your community while creating memories of a lifetime!
- Scouting strengthens families, provides adventure, a social outlet and compliments educational learning
Is Scouting for girls too? Why?
- The BSA’s decision to welcome girls into the Scouts, BSA program comes from input we have received from both our existing Scouting families, and prospective families. We understand that families today are busier than ever and we want to structure program offerings that fit into your life to deliver the character development and values-based leadership training that Scouting promises. Each sponsoring organization decides whether they will serve the full family (boys and girls) and ensure programs and experiences are separate for boys and girls.
Can my child participate in other extracurricular activities outside Scouting?
- Lots of youth take part in Scouting along with a variety of other activities like sports, music, academic interests, and more. These programs all work together with Scouting to provide your child with a balance of adult role models and experiences. The Scouts, BSA program is self-guided and offers many opportunities for your child to work through the Scout handbook at a pace that fits your family’s schedule.
- The cost of Scouting is an investment. Annual costs are less than most other youth programs and provide a full year of fun and adventure.
- The annual membership fee for new members is $141, which covers registration and insurance for the following 12-month period.
- A handbook ($25) will guide your Scout’s journey and detail the adventures, activities and badges that you’ll work on during meetings and activities throughout the school year. This is available at the Jacksonville Scout Shop for purchase.
- A uniform (shirt and belt – cost of approximately $150) are recommended so your Scout can display the achievements they’ll work on during their meetings, activities and campouts. This is available at the Jacksonville Scout Shop for purchase.
- Other costs vary depending on the activities of your local Troop.
- Scouting offers multiple opportunities throughout the year for your Scout to earn the money needed for Troop and Council activities. We believe that every child should have the chance to be a Scout! Because of the generosity of our Scout families, businesses and leaders, the North Florida Council can offer assistance to support local families in need.