Join Cub Scouts
What is Scouting?
- Through Scouting you will have the opportunity to have great experiences, learn new things and grow together as a family. Whether it is shooting bows and arrows or camping together as a family, Scouting allows you the opportunity to share a special experience with your children. Our mission is to provide your son or daughter with a program of fun and adventure while instilling in them values that will last a lifetime to better serve their family, community and country.
- Scouting strengthens families, provides adventure, a social outlet and compliments educational learning
Is Scouting for girls too? Why?
- The BSA’s decision to welcome girls into the Cub Scout program and to offer a program for older girls comes from input we have received from both our existing Scouting families, and prospective families. We understand that families today are busier than ever and we want to structure program offerings that fit into your life to deliver the character development and values-based leadership training that Scouting promises. Each sponsoring organization decides whether they will serve the full family (boys and girls).
Can my child participate in other extracurricular activities outside Scouting?
- Lots of youth take part in Scouting along with a variety of other activities like sports, music, academic interests, and more. These programs all work together with Scouting to provide your child with a balance of adult role models and experiences. The Cub Scout program offers many opportunities for your child to work through the handbook at a time convenient for your family.
What is a den?
- A den is comprised of a group of boys or girls in the same grade. Each group functions differently, but normally den meetings take place for approximately 1 hour, 2-3 times per month throughout the school year and focuses on completing activities and achievements and going on field trips.
What is a Pack?
- A Pack is comprised of boys and (possibly) girls in grades K-5. Pack meetings take place for approximately 60-90 minutes once per month throughout the school year with a focus on awards & recognition.
- The cost of Scouting is an investment. Annual costs are less than most other youth programs and provide a full year of fun and adventure.
- The annual membership fee for new members is $141, which covers registration and insurance for the following 12-month period.
- A handbook ($24.99) will guide your Scout’s journey and detail the adventures, activities and achievements that you’ll work on during den meetings throughout the school year. This is available at the Jacksonville Scout Shop for purchase.
- A uniform (shirt and belt – cost of approximately $75-$125) are recommended so your Scout can display the achievements they’ll work on during weekly den meetings & be awarded at monthly Pack meetings. This is available at the Jacksonville Scout Shop for purchase.
- Other costs vary depending on the activities of your local Pack.
- Scouting offers multiple opportunities throughout the year for your Scout to earn the money needed for Pack and Council activities. We believe that every child should have the chance to be a Scout! Because of the generosity of our Scout families, businesses and leaders, the North Florida Council can offer assistance to support local families in need.